Pie making is an art that has been on for some ages and it is named after its filling.
There is nothing quite liking making your own pie right in your own kitchen and this is the essence of these write up.
There are different kinds of pies;
- Chicken pie
- Fruit pie
- Fish pie etc
Meat-pie is one of the delicious family of pastry which is highly sought after in any Nigerian pastry shop or restaurant.
Preparation entails two major parts
- All purpose flour (500g)
- Baking powder (40g)
- Margarine (250g)
- Pinch of salt
- Nutmeg (flavour)
little water (2-3tbsp)
- Grounded beef
- Irish Potato (as thickener)
- Groundnut oil
- Ginger and Garlic
- Pepper (habanero pepper)
1. Pour your flour into a container, add your baking powder and pinch of salt and mix lightly
2. Add your margarine and mix until it forms crumbs (because of the amount of butter, the crumbs are light yellow in colour)
3. Mix with little water and knead lightly until it forms dough.. Believe me, it will form with little water because of the amount of butter used.
4. Wrap inside cling film and put in fridge to set for about 15 minutes.
5. Take out, remove film and it would come out smooth and round.
6. Cut out a chunk and roll out thin (2mm),
Before starting the preparation, Peel your potato, boil and dice. Set aside.
FORMING THE MEATPIE
To make a very neat and regular meat-pie, there is need to make use of a meatpie cutter.
The following process can be used to insert the sauce into the flattened dough;
1. OPEN UP YOUR MEATPIE CUTTER,
2. PLACE THE ROLLED DOUGH ON THE MEATPIE CUTTER,
3. PUT YOUR SAUCE IN CENTRE AND CLOSE TIGHTLY AND TRIM OFF EXCESSES.
4. THEN OPEN AND YOUR MEATPIE IS FORMED.
If you can’t get a MEATPIE cutter, after the dough is rolled out 2mm, pour the sauce in the middle, close it, cut and trim the edges and press together with a fork. If it doesn’t close, sprinkle little water at the edges before pressing together with a fork and it will close up.
Take out your clean baking trays, lightly brush it with cooking oil or spray with baking oil.
Gently place pies on it and bake for 45 minutes at 120 degrees.
Take out and enjoy!