One of life’s best food to me is these exotic yam mash dish called Yam Porridge or Asaro.
It is very easy to make and the best part of it is the fact that many lovely other ingredients can be added. Examples are soft plantain, vegetables, Proteins like fish, meat sea foods etc.
A lovely Porridge done with a very good yam will engulf it all and infuse their flavour with its own flavour and by the way, I prefer my Porridge to be pepper red and rich!!! OMG!!
Basic Ingredients (Easy to get)
* Palm oil
* Chicken stock
* Salt and seasoning cubes
* Smoked fish or any protein of your choice
* Crayfish (ground or whole dried)
* Spice of your choice
* Pepper (habanero)
* Tomatoes and red bell peppers
* Vegetables of your choice (Pumpkin leaves) – Optional
Prep time: 20mins
Cooking time: 45-50mins
There are different ways of cooking and this end up bringing out different food taste even though they might look the same.
My method of cooking is fast, easy and it brings out the best of taste.
1. Peel the yam, wash and cut into cubes.
2. Wash your pepper tomatoes and bell pepper and blend not to thoroughly
3. Pour your yam into pot, add your crayfish and onions and boil for 20mins. (It will still be undone). Don’t let the water dry up completely
4. Pour in your chicken stock, blended pepper, smoked fish and every other protein, spice and seasoning cubes and cover for another 15mins (reduce the heat to medium heat)
5. After 15minutes, open, add your palmoil, salt and your leafy vegetables.
6. Stir, mash lightly or fully depending on how you like it and let steam for another 10minutes and your Porridge is done. If it is too thick, you can add little water to loosen it before covering to steam.
Open and wawu!!!!!! Your sweet Porridge is done. Make sure you don’t over salt, once you get that right, you can’t miss the rest.
Prepare it today and get back to me please. Your response will be most appreciated! Have a lovely weekend.