• Sieve the flour and flavor (if you are using powdered flavor) in a bowl and mix with butter until it forms crumbs
• Add your salt and mix again. Set apart.
• In a smaller bowl, dissolve your yeast in little water(its not necessary the water be hot ; just warm but not cold)
• In another cup, dissolve your sugar and flavor (if you are using a liquid flavor)
• Make a hole in the midst of the flour mixture and add your dissolved yeast. Cover.
• Then mix your sugar and liquid flavour in the flour and add enough water to wrap it up. This is called pre-mixing so don’t go hard with the mixing. Mix gently.
It must not be sticky on your hand; if it does, then add flour to thicken it up.
The CONSISTENCY WE ARE LOOKING FOR IS ELASTIC.(I WILL EXPLAIN THESE BETTER LATER)
• Then you knead.
There are 2 methods I use;
The first imitates hand washing a cloth. This is done on a smooth work table. You dust your table with flour and pour your dough on it.
Then you apply pressure with your hand and drag. Repeat this process and finally wrap into a ball after some minutes.
Kneading is majorly done so that the donut can be succulent and tender when eating.
• Cut into small round shapes and smoothen it skillfully into a smooth round ball.
• Leave to rise for about 30minutes in an hot environment or 45minutes under room temperature AND FRY under medium heat for about 10minutes.
To make Ring donuts;
Take a risen dough and insert your thumb and third finger in the middle. Use the other fingers to drag it apart so it forms a ring structure and drop into oil immediately
To make Jam donuts;
Fry without making any hole and after frying. Insert your jam.