Note: Caterbakes team and your very lovely chef are available to cater for your events and ceremonies across Nigeria
Okay.. this is going to be very quick. Why? Because chin-chin is the easiest pastry that can be made.
In case you have been finding it hard to make chin-chin, Be at peace and follow my step by step approach.
Soft Crunchy Chin-chin
Important points to note:
- Without adding eggs, you might be making a hard chin chin; so, eggs are important.
- You are going to be making a dough and not batter. We are looking at crunchy and not fluffy.
- Thirdly our raisin agent is Baking powder and not yeast.
Okay! Let us Begin!
- Wheat Flour- 350g
- Margarine- 100g
- Baking Powder – 1/2tsp
- Flavour (Vanilla, milk flavour)- 2 Capful or 2 tsp
- Egg- 1
- Pinch of salt and nutmeg
- Groundnut Oil
- Sugar- 100g
- Rolling Pin
- A Manual Cutter or Knife
I love teaching by steps because it is easy to replicate. so follow my steps;
- Pour your flour in a bowl, add your baking powder, salt, nutmeg and mix in gently with a spoon.
- Add your butter and mix together until it changes colour and forms crumbs.
- This is when you add little water, mix and add your eggs. (Be careful of adding too much water because the eggs will add to the consistency.
- Depending on the type of flavour you are using; either dry or liquid, add during the dry mixing or now (For me, I love mixing the dry ingredients together separately and liquid ingredients separately before mixing both together)
Once the light mixing is done, Time for kneading!!!!!!!!
Kneading a dough is majorly applying pressure on the dough and folding it back in. (Just like washing clothes by the streams; BTW, Does that still exist?)
The essence of kneading is to make sure all the ingredients are well mixed ( Note: Not all pastries needs dough to be well kneaded)
ROLLING AND CUTTING STAGE
There is something I do before I start rolling and cutting. I call it setting.
After kneading, I wrap my dough inside a nylon and put inside a refridgerator for about 3-5minutes.
Leave for 5 minutes; then carefully remove the nylon and it will come out very smoothly.
Ok! We have come to the stage where we need rolling pin or any smooth rod.
- Flour your board and apply little flour on the rolling pin ( These will prevent it sticking)
- Cut a little out and roll out. How do you roll out dough? That’s assignment for you. lol… Ask me in the comment section if you need clarification on that.
- Then, with a knife, cut into strips (SOME USE RULERS Whatever makes you happy )
- Bring all the strips together and cut horizontally to form a cube.
After this, FRY AWAYYYYYY!
To know how to fry any pastry and food perfectly without any mistakes; I have written extensively on it. Check my master piece here
So here you go. You know the drill; I’m obsessed about about comments and customer feed backs.
Let me know the result when you decide to try it and if you love it or not. I check my blog every hour expecting to hear from you.
I also welcome additions, subtractions, multiplications and divisions to this recipe.
Hit me up and let us discuss! #Kisses