We have been taking on food recipes and health for a while now and I feel it’s time to infuse some food business and legalities.
Food business is very important because it is the one that brings about money which is important for life.
Table of Contents
In the last decade, there has risen in Nigeria, a new wave of enterpreneurs in all fields, the standard of productions have been raised even up to world standard and the food world is not an exception.
Different creative foods and drinks have been developed and packaged which are taking over from the imported ones that has been dominating the market for many years.
However, no matter how big your ideas, food formula is, it cannot be accepted to be sold in Nigeria except it is registered under the Nigerian food and drugs agency.
HOW TO REGISTER WITH NAFDAC
The National Agency For Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) are the regulatory body that controls the influx and efflux of food and drugs in Nigeria.
They also validate the authenticity and quality of your products either food, drinks or drugs before it can be sold publicly.
STEPS TO GETTING A NAFDAC NUMBER
1. FACTORY CHECK AND SAMPLE COLLECTION
Visit the NAFDAC office in your state or the one closest to you and register. Your factory is going to get a visit from the officials.
* They are going to check your Water purification plant if you are into drinks
* They are going to check your production line
* They are going to check your workers room
* They are going to check the general neatness of the place and the equipments you possess and other things they deem fit to check
After this, if they are satisfied, you will be required to submit three samples of your products for analysis and then given a certificate of recognition as a manufacturer.
2. You have to purchase a form and fill accordingly. After filling the form, you will now write an application letter to NAFDAC stating your intention to register your product.
The application must be addressed to the Director; Registration and Regulatory Affairs.
3. After both have been done. You will attach both the Registration form and the application letter together and submit.
It could takes weeks or few months but if the forms were properly filled with no mistakes, your registration would be successful.
DOCUMENTS NEEDED TO SUBMIT AT NAFDAC
1. Your certificate of inspection and Recognition after your factory was checked
2. Your certificate of incorporation by the corporate affairs commission
3. The application letter coupled with the Registration form you forwarded to the Director.
4. Certificate of sample collections with the date and signature of the analyst
5. Trade mark issuance certificate for your brand by the ministry of commerce.
Wishing you good luck as you proceed into registering your food or drink products.