It is few months to Christmas and one word that comes to mind is “Thanksgiving”.
But what is Thankgiving without a yummy lamb ragout(Ragu) to enjoy with loved once?
So in the spirit of the season I have thought to share a recipe that was prepared by a culinary mentor of mine; Chef Temi.
This is a protein recipe that is perfect for this period; The Lamb Ragú.
Lamb Ragú or Ragout is a slowly cooked lamb meat infused with different spices and red wine, it an Italian cuisine best served with pasta.
It is so delicious with so many blasts of exquisite taste and can be prepared with the following steps:
* Lamb, cut in chunks (Optionally Ram)
* Salt and freshly ground black pepper
* 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
* 3 tablespoons fresh sage
* 8 cloves garlic
* 1 big carrot, peeled
* 2 cups red wine (important)
* 1 (28-ounce) canned peeled whole plum tomatoes
1. Pat the lamb chunks dry with a paper towel.
2. Liberally coat the lamb chunks with salt and black pepper and set aside.
3. Peel and coarsely chop the onions, and chop the garlic.
4. Chop the carrot into thin rounds.
5. Before you slow cook, place a heavy stockpot over medium-high heat, (or oven) and add olive oil to cover the bottom thinly.
7. When oil is hot, add the rose mary onions, garlic, lamb and brown deeply. The Lamb will infuse the flavour. Do this in batches if necessary.
8. Don’t worry about drying out the meat — you want it browned darkly for good flavor. (I usually brown each batch for at least 10 minutes, taking care not to crowd the pan. You want the meat to brown, not steam-cook.)
9. When the meat is browned, add the safe, carrot, red wine, plummed tomato.
10. Lower the heat, and cook slowly till it’s very tender (45mins-1hr15mins depending on the size of the meat). If you use an oven, cover with foil, reduce the heat and put inside to slow cook until very tender
Once it is done, pull apart, mix it up with the other ingredients and serve with pasta, spread over a plate of pasta or jam inside a slider.
This recipe is awesome, try this recipe and don’t forget to come back with your comment.
Chef Wale loves you.