Note: Caterbakes team and your very lovely chef are available to cater for your events and ceremonies across Nigeria
Have you been thinking of an easy snack to make and enjoy at home with your family?
Chin-chin is your best option.
Why? Because chin-chin is the easiest pastry that can be
In case you have been finding it hard to make chin-chin, Be at peace and follow my step by step approach.
Soft Crunchy Chin-chin:
Important points to note:
- Without adding eggs, you might be making a hard chin chin; so, eggs are important.
- You are going to be making a dough and not batter. We are looking at crunchy and not fluffy.
- Thirdly our raisin agent is Baking powder and not yeast.
Okay! Let us Begin!
- Wheat Flour- 350g
- Margarine- 100g
- Baking Powder – 1/2tsp
- Flavour (Vanilla, milk flavour)- 2 Capful or 2 tsp
- Egg- 1
- Pinch of salt and nutmeg
- Groundnut Oil
- Sugar- 100g
- Rolling Pin
- A Manual Cutter or Knife
I love teaching by steps because it is easy to replicate. so follow my steps;
- Pour your flour in a bowl, add your baking powder, salt, nutmeg and mix in gently with a spoon.
- Add your butter and mix together until it changes colour and forms crumbs.
- This is when you add little water, mix and add your eggs. (Be careful of adding too much water because the eggs will add to the consistency.
- Depending on the type of flavour you are using; either dry or liquid, add during the dry mixing or now (For me, I love mixing the dry ingredients together separately and liquid ingredients separately before mixing both together)
Once the light mixing is done, Time for kneading!!!!!!!!
Kneading a dough is majorly applying pressure on the dough and folding it back in. (Just like washing clothes by the streams; BTW, Does that still exist?)
The essence of kneading is to make sure all the ingredients are well mixed ( Note: Not all pastries needs dough to be well kneaded)
ROLLING AND CUTTING STAGE:
There is something I do before I start rolling and cutting. I call it setting.
After kneading, I wrap my dough inside a nylon and put inside a refridgerator for about 3-5minutes.
Leave for 5 minutes; then carefully remove the nylon and it will come out very smoothly.
Ok! We have come to the stage where we need rolling pin or any smooth rod.
- Flour your board and apply little flour on the rolling pin ( These will prevent it sticking)
- Cut a little out and roll out. How do you roll out dough? That’s assignment for you. lol… Ask me in the comment section if you need clarification on that.
- Then, with a knife, cut into strips (SOME USE RULERS Whatever makes you happy )
- Bring all the strips together and cut horizontally to form a cube.
After this, FRY AWAYYYYYY!
To know how to fry any pastry and food perfectly without any mistakes; I have written extensively on it. Check my master piece here
So here you go. You know the drill; I’m obsessed about about comments and customer feed backs.
Let me know the result when you decide to try it and also let me know if you love it or not. I check my blog every hour expecting to hear from you.
I also welcome additions, subtractions, multiplications and divisions to this recipe.
Hit me up and let us discuss! #Kisses