Note: The Caterbakes team and your very lovely chef are available to cater for your events and ceremonies across Nigeria
Something has been bothering my mind and that’s the fact that although small chops are the most popular finger food in Nigeria, many people have failed in the making of a simple sweet sauce-wrapped spring roll.
So today, we are going to be fixing that problem and show you cupcakes how to make a proper Spring Rolls.
Table of Contents
Fried and unfried springrolls
Ok! I’m not going to rush you. We are going to be taking it poco a poco. (Step by Step).
We are going to be talking about the following in the days to come;
- Samosa Wraps
- Samosa Sauces
- Puffs and Banana Fritters
- Corndogs (I have written about it already)
So, Lets Begin. (If these article helps you, be sure to refer me to your friends… For free lessons, questions etc)
The real name of springroll has a prefix and it is called Vegetable Springroll.
It is so named because SPRING ROLLS are expected to be filled with different arrays of stirred fried veggies and what ever additives you deem fit to be present inside.
Ginger and garlic
Habanero Pepper (spicy pepper)
Additives of your choice (soysauce, chicken flavour etc)
- To be very efficient in making this sauce, you need to first make sure all your veggies are well cleaned. Wash in salted water or add vinegar in the water used in washing the veggies.
After cleaning, you chop and slice finely all the veggies from cabbage to onions.
3. Then the stir frying starts;
- Pour little oil on the frying pan and put the heat on medium level. (The concept of stir-frying is the art of cooking in medium heat while stirring continuously)
- Once the oil is hot, Pour in your veggies in the following order;
- Spring onions
- Habanero pepper
- Ginger and Garlic
- The reason for these order of entry is because some veggies go soft too easily under heat; a good example is carrot.
- Let this cook for about 2-3 minutes before continuing.
- Green Pepper
- Curry and pre-seasoning (Put some seasoning and salt here; You might still need to add more after all has gone in because Cabbage is an absorber and it will soak in most of the seasoning and salt
- After another 2-5 minutes depending on the size of sauce prepared, you can now put in your carrot and cabbage.
Dont stir immediately, Reduce to low heat and cover. After some minutes, open, stir all together and check/taste if you might need to add more seasonings and salt.
Make sure after washing your veggies, You pat them as dry as possible especially the cabbage.
This is because the cabbage can soak up some of the water an release it while cooking which makes your sauce soggy looking. It will steal the stir fried aura of the sauce.
Make sure you follow the heating procedure. Start with medium heat, reduce the heat when the cabbage enters and later increase it to finish the cooking.
OK! Secret tip:
Sometimes I add little chopped beef to the sauce to improve the taste. It enters from the beginning.
FLESH AND SKIN MAKING:
It is referred to as skin or flesh because of its thin texture. This can be made by mixing flour, pinch of salt with water and stirring until the consistency becomes fluid like. This is called BATTER.
The next stage requires the use of a non-stick pan. Heat the pan gently and paste the batter on the pan forming a circle, A small circle for springroll while a bigger one for samosa. Let it dry off and remove.
NOTE: This process resembles pancake making however, it is not poured rather pasted by hand or with a small size paint brush.
SPRINGROLL: Take a smaller size circle, pour the sauce in the middle, take both sides inwardly and roll upward. Seal with the gum when you finish rolling.
The oil must be allowed to be mediumly hot before it is poured inside so as not for it to soak oil. The standard colour is goldden brown and the heat must be checked and adjusted regularly so it will fry perfectly and you all done .
I hope this be of great assistance to you cupcakes.
Lots of love and see you on my next publication.
Don’t forget to comment and recommend my blog to your friends.